Thomas Dugan Raffen Memorial Scholarship
Remembering Tommy Raffen through an annual scholarship to a student who shares his leadership characteristics, optimism, integrity and pride in Texas State.
History of Scholarship
In 2008, friends, family and alumni, in conjunction with the non-profit organization the Stelos Alliance, pledged to create and support a scholarship in the name of Tomas Dugan Raffen. Tommy was an exceptional student, leader and friend to many across campus. He served as President of his fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, and was a member of Student Foundation and Order of Omega. Tommy maintained this level of campus leadership while working to pay his way through school. His work ethic, integrity and dedication to the University and its values serve as his positive legacy. Tommy was tragically killed in a car accident in May of 1991. To honor Tommy’s memory this scholarship is presented annually to a Texas State University student that exhibits the leadership characteristics, optimistic enthusiasm, integrity, and pride in the University that exemplified Tommy’s college life.
The current scholarship amount is $2,000.
Applications due: Friday, March 23rd at 11:59pm CST.
TIME AND PLACE OF PRESENTATION
April 22nd, San Marcos, TX
Specific Eligibility Information
- Student must be classified as a junior or senior at Texas State.
- Student must have 54 completed hours if classified as a sophomore.
- Sophomore or junior classification will be enrolled 12 hours or more at the time of selection. Senior classification may be enrolled 12 hours or less at the time of selection.
- Student must have an overall Texas State GPA of at least 2.50.
- Student must have demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Student must have invested time and service to Texas State.
- Students that have previously won the Raffen Scholarship are not eligible.
- The recipient(s) will be in good standing with the University at the time of selection.
- Graduating seniors are eligible to receive this Scholarship.
Student must write and include a personal essay
- Must be doubled spaced and typed in a 12 point font.
- Must be at least one full page, but can not exceed 3 full pages.
- Your essay must address each of the following topics:
- How will your past and present campus activities contribute to Texas State?
- What are your plans for future service to Texas State as a student?
- Do you believe it is important to give back to Texas State as an alumnus? If so, why?
- What character attributes do you have that may have played a role in your managing of the financial demands of college life? In what way?
2. Current resume
3. Current unofficial transcript
Please fill out the form below to apply.
Feel free to email us with any questions.
Before submitting your scholarship, please read our terms for applying. You'll verify you have done so at the end of this form.
SEND US YOUR DOCUMENTS AT email@example.com